Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Midnight Race: Codetta

We rode together into the night. A pair of very fast blurs: one is colored red, the other is white. Weaving through traffic, racing together towards an unseen goal.

I glanced at her while keeping my line. I couldn't help but smile. She was my queen. My Undefeated of the Highways. She was my partner. She complemented who I was on the speedways. She was simple yet sophisticated and she knew it.

Then came something unexpected. Another car appeared. Challenging us. No, inviting my partner and challenging me. I did my best to keep up and almost crashed into a truck in the process. To my surprise, she was already racing with the challenger and didn't even bother to look back to see if I was alright.

With the eyes of a wounded wolf, I raced after them, caught up and regained my place. I was able to defeat my rival. Good times followed but it was soon cut short.

Again, with much less surprise - and much to my dismay, my queen raced ahead of me, trying to catch a group that she spotted from afar. She left me eating her dust. It was as if she's saying that I'm no longer needed or even wanted.

So I took my cue and raced as well, showing her that I can stand alone. And just as I was about to pass her, she crashed. Questions rang inside my head: Should I stop for her? Should I even look back? Did she stop or look back at me when I almost met a similar fate? The answer to all these was a resounding NO.

I raced on, pursuing dreams that I knew from that moment on are mine and mine alone. I didn't look back. Entering a corner, I slid my crimson ride. Setting it for a straight exit, I suddenly had the urge to take a look at what I left behind.

There she was, crying. And then a car or two decided to stop by her and help. Seeing this, I knew she would be alright - she's finally found what she was looking for. And with that, I continued racing into the night - alone.

 

* Just letting out some pent up literary frustrations.

7 comments:

  1. i agree!!!! really nice!!! you're a good writer pala rb, akala ko loko loko ka lang talaga! hahaha!!! just kidding! miss you seatmate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite disappointed with you Em... You actually forgot that I'm also a writer! =p

    ReplyDelete
  3. i knew you were. but you never showed me your work! you always tell me that it was "private". masyado ka kasing secretive eh! =) at least ngayon hindi ka na mysterious! hahahahaha =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hn... yes... I do remember not showing to you any of my scribbles before... In that case, welcome to my literary fastlane. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey RB! Wow, the word "deep" is an understatement... I must say this piece is remarkable. It's like a representation of an experience... of finding and losing somebody. Just when you thought your "partner" will always be by your side in your so-called "highway journey".. all of a sudden she would be mesmerized by something faster and better, that urged her to leave you behind. When she realized that she made a wrong turn, she wanted to slow down and go back, yet it's too late. You were torn between your pride and your heart... but at the end you followed your pride, and left her behind the same way she did to you.. You decided to let her go because you knew that someone would be there to take care of her... as much as it hurts, you knew she already found what she's looking for. As for you, you realized it's time to move on and continue your highway journey... alone...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, thanks for the comment =) I was just releasing some pent-up literary frustrations haha... as most writers say, what you put on paper is either the result of what you read, what you've experienced or a little bit of both =)

    ReplyDelete